Salted caramel might be one of my favorite flavors. So these shortbread bars with salted caramel and chocolate ganache are a gift from heaven.
I found this recipe in Matt Preston’s book Fast, Fresh and unbelievably delicious. A gorgeous book with fantastic recipes and this is one of them.
I can describe the flavor as sort of a luxury twix bar. It’s super delicious and very easy to make. I do advice to use a smaller, yet deeper baking pan than I used. This will make the layers a little thicker.
- 100 g (2/3 cup) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 75 g (1/3 cup) soft brown sugar
- 90 g butter, melted
- 80 g butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 95 g (1/2 cup) soft brown sugar
- 390 g sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 30 g butter
- Salt flakes, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/340ºF
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, stir the sugar through the mixture. Add the melted butter and combine. Spoon this mixture into a greased 17cm x 26 cm (7x10 inch) tin and press to make an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Put the butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan over low heat. Add the condensed milk and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously for about 8 minutes. Pour the caramel over the base and bake in the oven for another 10 minutes. Let it cool completely in the fridge.
- Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of boiling water, do not let the bottom touch the water. Let the chocolate and butter melt completely. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir.
- Spread the chocolate over the caramel and leave in a cool place until it has set.
- When everything has set, sprinkle some salt flakes over the top and serve.
Follow me at: Facebook, Instagram, Bloglovin’ and Pinterest!
What’s your favorite pastry? Let me know in the comments!